What is the LIFE Programme?
The LIFE programme is the European Union's financial instrument supporting environmental, nature conservation and climate action projects throughout the EU.
The general objective of the programme is to contribute to the implementation, updating and development of policies and regulations related to the environment and climate through the co-financing of projects with European added value.
During the period 2014-2020, the LIFE programme will contribute with approximately 3.4 billion Euros to the protection of the environment and the climate.
Who is who?
The European Commission (through the Directorate General for the Environment and Climate Action) manages the LIFE programme. However, the Commission has delegated the implementation of many components of the programme to the Executive Agency for Small and Medium Enterprises (EASME). There are also external monitoring and communication teams that provide assistance to the Commission and EASME.
What are the main areas?
The LIFE Programme is divided into two sub-programmes with three priority areas:
1. Sub-programme for Environment:
- Environment and Resource Efficiency
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Environmental Governance and Information
2. Subprogramme for Climate Action
- Climate change mitigation: reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Climate change adaptation: increasing resilience to climate change
- Climate change governance and information: increasing awareness, communication, cooperation and dissemination on climate change mitigation
The subprogramme Action for Climate will provide 864 million euros (25% of the total budget of the program) between 2014 and 2010 to co-finance projects related to Climate. One of the objectives is to support public authorities, non-governmental organizations and private sectors (especially SMEs) to implement low carbon and adaptation technologies as well as to develop new methods and approaches. Its main objectives are:
- Contribute to the transition to a low carbon economy and climate resilient.
- Improve the development, implementation and implementation of European policies and regulations on climate change.
- Support environmental governance and climate change at all levels.
- Support the implementation of the 7th Environment Action Program
Links of interest